Thursday, November 3, 2011

Annabelle's going to be a big Sister!

Surprise surprise your pregnant again. Tim and I were pretty shocked to learn that we were expecting a second time. Not that we weren't trying, just that we wanted to wait a few more weeks to start really trying. We heard baby #2 heartbeat for the first time on September 21st. What a wonderful sound to hear. I'm currently 16 weeks pregnant and feeling pretty good. This pregnancy is much different then the last. I've had morning sickness starting at 5 weeks, although no throwing up, just lots of gagging. We saw the doctor again at 14 weeks, and heard a strong and healthy heartbeat of 149 bpm. This time around my new doctor is being proactive with my care. She's suggested that I received 17p shots for my preterm labor. If you remember back in 2009, the day I was admitted to the hospital, I was put on magnesium sulfate to help lower my blood pressure. I also received one of two steroid shots to mature Annabelle's lungs. Over night my water broke unexpectedly and I started contracting. My doctor is hoping this time around with the help of the 17p shots that this prevent me from going into PTL. Starting at 16 weeks I will receive weekly shots until 36 weeks. I joked with Tim on Tuesday night, one shot down and 19 more to go. Some of the side effects are itchiness and welts around inject site. My nurse Val (love her already) insured me that she would be gentle and she was. I got the shot in my hip, instead of my butt (thank you Val). I never felt the serum go, another positive for Val. So far I haven't had any issues with itchiness or welts, but we are just starting. Next Tuesday, I get my second shot, on the left side and I'm hoping for the same outcome as the first shot.

Our next OB appointment is November 21, and I'll be 18 weeks along. We are hoping to get the referral to have the anatomy scan at this appointment. Stay tuned for results (hoping that baby cooperates during the ultrasound.

No comments: